Tuesday, November 18, 2008

15 Nov Arriving

Dad dropped me off at the Detroit airport about 8:30pm on the 14th of November. From there I flew to DC where I slept at the airport. The morning of the 15th, I flew to Panama City. Not staying at the airport but about an hour, my plane was off to Quito. I arrived in Quito all right, too bad my bag didn´t. No worries though.

My friend Michael was waiting for me at the airport. We took the bus to an area of town the locals like to call "Gringo Landia", for a good reason. Many gringos like to hang out there. As we were walking to a cafe for a cup of coffee, we met a Dutch woman who seemed a little confused. We invited her to have coffee with us and we just sat around and chatted a bit.

From there, we took another bus to my hostal, The Secret Garden, to check in. It seems like a great place, but it´s a little on the pricey side, $8 a night. The crowd seems great, and the view from the top is overlooking the Old City.

After check in, Michael and I went over to his host family´s place for dinner. We had chicken and potatoes, rice, empanadas and coconut juice for dinner. It was great having a home cooked meal my first night in Quito. I haven´t been able to converse with them yet, because they don´t speak English. Soon enough and I will be well on my way to speaking Spanish.

From Michael´s place, we met some of his classmates down at a little bar called "Baritillo". Baritillo is a bar where you pay a flat rate ($5.50) and you have a tap at your table and you drink as much as you want. It was nice meeting with some of his friends and getting to see a little of the town.

No comments: